MINES OF SULCIS & PAN DI ZUCCHERO
The coal mine of Serbariu is situated in the west outskirts of Carbonia (Cagliari), between the town and the National Road n° 126. The mine was closed in 1970s. After a long time of neglect, it has been transformed into a very interesting museum.
Alberto La Marmora was the first who wrote about the coal of Sulcis. In his “Voyage en Sardaigne” (1875). The Museum includes the “lampisteria” (the building that housed the lamps of the miners, showers, bathrooms, etc.), a tunnel and the winding engine room. The “lampisteria” houses a permanent exposition on the history of coal, the mine and Carbonia; furthermore, the wide building houses a precious collection of mining lamps, tools, instruments, objects of daily use, photographs, documents, period videos and interviews of the miners.